Posts Tagged ‘Ranier Maria Rilke’

3P-065 Who Rules the World?

In this 65th episode of Third Paradigm, we examine global wealth starting with the 50 richest people, who are one in 100 million, and the Bilderbergers, quoting from the radio show Unwelcome Guests. Then we go to the richest one in 100,000 people with an excerpt called Adjusted Income by Daniel Handler, aka Lemony Snicket. ¬†We discuss Michael Parenti’s distinction between a structuralist and a functionalist, and give a functionalist example with a chilling pair of videos called The Banker.

Then we engage in visual economics by plotting net assets by population: if one inch = $100,000, it would require 11 miles of paper to plot the Walton’s assets. The net assets of the middle class would fall into one square inch, with only 10% of the population. To one side, the other 90% of the population would stretch, with assets that barely register on the scale. On the other side, the privileged few would propel off the chart and into outer space.

Poems:

  • Part Two, X from Ranier Maria Rilke’s Sonnets to Orpheus
  • A poem by Anna Akhmatova
  • A Native American story

Songs/Music Videos:

  • Moonflower by Keiko Matsui from Deep Blue
  • Stumbling through the Dark by The Jayhawks from Rainy Day Music

Informational Videos:

  • The Banker by 33rd Degree Films
  • The Banker from The Robin Hood Tax

To listen to the show or view the multimedia transcript, click here.

3P-063 Connecting the DOTS: Deepening Our Thinking on Sovereignty

This episode recaps a week of Connecting the DOTS – our new UniverseCity blog that responds to Democracy Now. It features Percy Schmeiser’s “Principles of Food and Agriculture,” and a rebuttal to Jared Diamond’s Guns, Germs, and Steel that quotes James Loewen’s Lies My Teacher Told Me. We suggest that, along with germs, natives hadn’t built up an immunity to religions without honor.

The next section, entitled “Shadow Wars and Guerilla Presidents,” looks at Arundhati Roy in India, the new President of Brazil, Dilma Rousseff, and the printer bomb that warrants drone attacks and hunter-killer teams in Yemen. Spencer Ackerman’s Wired article on “The Shadow War in Yemen” is quoted. The concluding piece, called “What’s Your Breaking Point?” poses Ralph Nader’s question of what would cause Democrats to walk away from the party. His reference to a moral compass is explored in light of foreign policy, and we call for a resurgence of the nonbinding referendum.

Poems:

  • “Soul Food” – #2 of the Tao te Ching by Ursula K. Le Guin from The Way and the Power of the Way
  • “By Contrast” – #2 of the Tao te Ching by Tereza Coraggio
  • “II,16″ by Ranier Maria Rilke from The Book of Hours translated by Anita Barrows and Joanna Macy

Songs:

  • “Isolate” by Moby from the Wait for Me CD
  • “Mothers of the Disappeared” by U2 from Joshua Tree
  • “Instant Karma” by U2 from Amnesty International’s tribute album of the same name

To view the multimedia transcript or listen to the show, click here.